
When I was in 6th grade I was bused across town to a 6th grade center. All my elementary school friends and I would ride the bus each morning and afternoon, just for that year. We went to Matt Kelly 6th Grade Center. Las Vegas did this equal opportunity bus system so we went for one year to the bad neighborhood. Sometimes we were on lock down because of shootings and stuff like that, but mostly it was safe and ok. We had such a fun time riding the bus. We would play poker and 21, sing along to the radio really loud and fight with our crazy bus driver because she would smoke on our bus while we were at school. I would sit by Ben Anderson, Curtis Barney and Caroline Graham and make some pretty good jokes.
Our bus driver said we could bring music and she would play it. So one day I brought a tape of "I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)" by The Proclaimers. I really liked them back then. I put the song on that tape as many times as it would fit and we just listened to it over and over. Until one day when we were all singing along and dancing a little too crazy and the bus driver revoked our music privileges.
This morning I heard that song on the radio and sang along really loud, just for old times sake. Then I thought I should write that memory down. So here it is.

5 comments:
this is so great! we had a prom for our program and the best part of the night was when all of us started impromptu spaz dancing to this song. it's amazing how every single one of us knew every single word. a beautiful thing!
Ha, Matt Kelly 6th grade center. No offense, but I was glad I was in the off year (they only made kids from my school go every other year, make any sense? not really). Jess had to go though. I remember her getting to stay home because of riots or something. Crazy.
i really love this story because you were rachel van wagoner even in 6th grade. It sounds just like you.
Um, get my dad in a car with this song, and his head hits the roof 'cause he rocks out so hard.
That is so super fantastic. First because you actually had fun on a bus ride as a kid (I just remember hating them) and because of this song. Super cute memory, and you are not at all random.
Post a Comment