In February I applied for an "assistantship" at the Guldagergaard, an International Ceramic Research Center. I wanted to work for the summer in Denmark, assisting the artists who attend the center. However as the summer approached, I called and emailed the director and I found out they already had the positions filled for the summer, but that there might be a spot for the fall and I was the first on the waiting list. So I decided to take the fall semester off, just in case. I figured this opportunity was once in a lifetime.
Good news is that on June 30th they wrote me and told me there was a spot for Aug 1-31st. They understood it was late notice, but invited me. So that week I bought an airplane ticket and planned to travel around for a month after the assistantship because I had already taken the semester off.
However, I also emailed the director and asked if there was any way I could stay for longer. On July 15th she replied that she had rearranged the schedule and asked if I could stay for THREE MONTHS! I feel like my dreams are coming true!!!
Although I was so excited for this opportunity, I realized that none of my loans are coming through until the end of August and I have no money to be traveling around the world. I prayed and fasted and payed my tithing. I was constantly thinking about how I could work for the money I needed to make this trip happen, when it came to me to ask my professor. I have never asked for money from her before, but I called her and nervously asked if she could try and find some extra funds lying around the visual arts department at BYU.
A week later, she had found an internship fund!!! and they reimbursed the entire cost of my airplane ticket. I can't believe what a miracle it was. I am so blessed and I feel so lucky.
This week I am packing up and learning Danish. I'll be gone til November, I'll be gone til November, January, February, March, April, May, I see you crying but girl I can't stay.
thank you. Tak.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
wooo! congrats!!
that is soooo cool!
im real real excited for you!!
Rachel, that is so amazing! I am so excited for you!
So I guess you won't make it to the class reunion huh... shoot. Not that you would've come. I know how you feel about high school. :) Well, we'll have to catch up again some other time. Good luck! And congrats!
yeah! I hope you have a great time, which I know you will. We looooovvvvvveeeee you!
Dani-I am a little bummed about not being at the reunion...I was thinking about going actually! oh well. You will have to send my regards for everyone and tell them I'm in Europe. I WANNA SEE YOUR BABY!!!
EEEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!
Miracles. Miracles happen to you because you are a miracle!
loves.
wow! how WONDERFUL!
LOVE IT!!!
I miss that song.
Post a Comment