Wednesday, April 24, 2013

cultivate a culture of reciprocity.

I just read this article about a communal style of living. It was written by a woman who lives in a neighborhood without fences with her friends. They share a garden, a lawnmower, a bbq and take care of each other like family. I love the idea of living like that. Maybe that's why I love living at Guldagergaard.
I really want to live where I don't need as much money because we have a group of people willing to share and exchange services instead of trying to acquire more and more material belongings for the individual.
Here is the last paragraph of the article:
We don’t keep strict tabs on what or how many hours we share. Instead we cultivate a culture of reciprocity. We trust that what we give to the community will come back to us many times over. In Bowling Alone, his classic work on the decline of community in America, Robert Putnam writes: “Trustworthiness lubricates social life.” But you don’t have to live in a commune or a kampung to share with your neighbors. It can start with borrowing a cup of sugar or offer of a helping hand. All it takes is the decision to put more emphasis on building community than acquiring Stuff.

I'd love to establish a community like that. Although I am finally living in one place, I still lead a transient life because every month new people are coming to live with me. I never have a set group of friends and sometimes I feel like I am constantly stuck in those "getting to know you" conversations. I like it when people stay for a few months and we can stop talking about the basics.



Mark just came out with a new album and this song pretty much explains the transient life and the quest for community.  I feel the same way. "I still dream of the simple life, boy meets girl and makes her his wife, but love don't exist when you live like this, that much I know, yes I know, all these roads will still be wrong but I still drive them all night long"

No comments: