
That word sounds so mean. But really, it doesn't have to be. I think about that all the time. Today at my internship at the Salt Lake Art Center, I wrote rejection letters to artists who had submitted proposals. It was crazy to be on that side of the spectrum, seeing all those artists' proposals. It made me nervous to be an artist. These people were my competition (since I want to be a practicing artist) and I saw their strategies and portfolios.
The curators had reviewed their proposals and decided that basically what they were doing in their artwork just isn't the aim/goal of the Art Center right now. So I was given the job of politely dismissing their proposed exhibitions and urging them to go on with their noble efforts in another direction.
It's not that we hate them, I actually saw some pretty good artists in the mix, its just that their ideas aren't going to further the mission of the Art Center, so we had to pass them up. And really, that's just the way it is in life. I don't think people mean to hurt you personally when they "reject" you, they just mean to urge you into better, more compatible directions. That's all.

4 comments:
That is so true and very good to learn a rejection doesn't mean you can't do it, it just means you get to move in a different direction.
So your you've started coming downtown! You have to come see us one of these days. We will make you some yummy dinner.
I know it sounds weird, but I hope that one day you can write me a rejection letter. Thanks for coming to see us! It makes me happy.
But sad none the less!
Post a Comment