Wednesday, September 16, 2009

blowing my mind. one more time.

The Bowerbirds have done it again. Last night I was talking with a friend about writing a break-up song. I feel like every break-up is different, because the people involved are different and a bad relationship is caused by a variety of miscommunications or unvalidating actions and words, or just plain differences of opinion etc etc. but mostly we just hear the generic break-up songs on the radio...boy misses girl, is lonely, wonders if they should get back together, hopes to find someone new....I could go on.
As a artist I'm faced every day with having to be creative and feeling like I may never be original and when it comes to song writing, I get really overwhelmed. So many songs have already been written. What could possibly be novel in the music world??
Then today, this song popped up on my ipod and Emily and I evaluated and re-evaluated each and every lyric. We love it. This song is so deep and so original. It is layered with meanings and I love that complexity.
In the end, I loved Emily's explanation. She felt that the guy noticed a lot of the girl's faults, like how she was always switching words around to be in her favor and tallying up her wins, but in the end it was hardest to admit that she actually was right. Basically he was just prideful, but it is said with more eloquence and words.
Really good spin on an emotion we have all felt at many times in relationships.



Put my dreams in my hands so I know I'm sure
Give me all that I want from this giant world
But you can't seem to not tally it up
So we know the score

Show me how I'm a man
Show me the light
Show me the wins of the day and the depths of the night
But you can't seem to not show me all that you sacrificed

And, well, nothing is harder
Than to know how much I still owe you

You could move like a silver cloud through the skies
You could move like a secret and slip past my life
But you can't seem to quit moving words around to show who was right

And, well, nothing is harder
Than to know that you were never wrong, dear

1 comment:

Giandrea said...

c'mon rachel... who else has ever written songs like "have you met brad?" and the fish song? tell me? who?