Wednesday, September 14, 2011

C'est Ma Vie!


Saturday I found myself meeting new people at a Temple Conference in Belmont, MA. I went with a girl I had met at church the week before, Alyssa. We casually talked with different groups, but at lunch we sat with some other people I had met that week at institute and formed some great friendships. After we had split up to go to different workshops (One of my friends left to go to the homework workshop at her house) I received a text from her saying she didn't go do homework, but instead was going apple picking at Shelburne Farm in Stow, MA.
We decided to head up there after learning how to index. It was a beautiful farm with a huge apple orchard. We bought a bag (peck size) and strolled around the orchard with our friends, making jokes, climbing on shoulders to reach the highest Galas in the tree and eating apples until our stomachs felt sick.
Afterward, Jeremiah bought all 6 of us girls ice cream. They had a bunch of specialty flavors designed just for their farm and we sat at a picnic table enjoying the commencement of fall and friendships.
As everyone went their separate ways, Jeremiah, Alyssa and I lingered and talked at the farm. We found out that he lived with his Grandma and that she had a private little lake house where they always went swimming. I asked if we could go swimming right then! And he said YES. So we drove back to Worcester and got swimsuits from my place then headed out to Asnacomet Pond.
We followed him as he took us deeper and deeper into the woods and then on a little dirt path that lead down to a private dock with two little huts. One had a kitchen and a table and the other housed life jackets and kayak paddles. We jumped into 3 kayaks and went around the lake, scouring the tree filled edge looking for blueberries. The water was perfectly still and crystal clear and the forest filled my ears as the sun set over the lake. It was so peaceful and perfect. I couldn't stop smiling. With a full moon we could see clearly across the whole lake and we headed back to our dock. The water was surprisingly warmer than the air outside and right after hooking up our boats we jumped in and swam around for a bit.
The next door neighbors have a floating dock with a 10 foot tower built on it. So we climbed up and jumped into the water a few times. From the top of the tower you can look over the still lake and see an amazing reflection of the moon on the water. All night I was blessing my good fortune in meeting the folks that I met that day.


I'm really loving this location and having a wonderful time in New England. This weekend: Camping in New Hampshire. I'm sure it will be just as pleasant.

2 comments:

Giandrea said...

Oh my goodness. This makes me miss you so bad. Your life sounds like a good chick flick that I want to keep watching.

dolly d. said...

Did we really grow up in Vegas?