Monday, February 26, 2007

maps interest me.

I do market and sales research. Basically I make spreadsheets with info for sales reps. One thing I have enjoyed is seeing names of cities that I didn't know existed. There are some really great names, it makes me want to visit these places, or just say their names, or just tell people I am from there. Here are some of my favorites:
1.Itasca, IL
2.Boca Raton, FL
3. King of Prussia, PA
4. Piscataway, NJ
5. Celebration, FL
I love being able to assign a memory to a dot on a map. You never know what a place looks like until you go there. Each city is distinct. Sandra Cisneros expressed this idea in her book "Caramelo" when she talked about her family's annual trip to Mexico. I love it. She says, "Not like on the Triple A atlas from orange to pink, but at a stoplight in a rippled heat and a dizzy gasoline stink, the United States ends all at once, a tangled shove of red lights from cars and trucks waiting their turn to get past the bridge. Miles and miles."
This weekend I saw Logan and got to know it a little better. Now it is more than just a dot on the map. That is another blog in and of itself, don't worry, soon.

4 comments:

tic tacs and tech decks said...

just like the stationary bolded line that separates Uruguay from Brasil. In real life it's a crazy little market place all up and down the street. there is nothing stationsary about it. Love your new picture too.

heathen said...

I brought an atlas everywhere I traveled in Europe. It's the best thing I've ever done!

cropstar said...

i love maps

sorry i missed your bday party

logan is the greatest place on earth

and

have you really never heard of boca raton?

and one more thing

you rock

cropstar said...

oh yeah...

and HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!

cuz i forgot to say it to you on your real birthday