Thursday, May 01, 2008

a change in the weather vain....


Recently I was reflecting on how much I dislike wind. I remember once, my friends were visiting Las Vegas and said they really enjoyed the wind. I was shocked. It has always been such a nuisance and definitely signifies bad weather. So I decided that maybe I could change my outlook on wind. In order to do that I have become a kite enthusiast. I bought a kite just last week. The day I bought it, there was no wind and I found myself secretly wishing for some wind....funny. Now I am wishing for it. I got the kite up, all by myself and flew it for 10 minutes or more. I forgot how great kites are!!

So lately, as I plan/think/wonder about moving to Denver, I debate about the weather. I wonder if I can handle cold winters with icy sidewalks and cars covered in snow every morning. Where when you are late for something and run out the door without a second to spare, you still have to brush/scrape off your whole car and drive slow slow slow down the road. yuck.
I realize that if I want to move there I have to find something to love/enjoy/embrace about the weather there. Therefore, I have commenced a rigid search for a winter pass-time that I love so much I will be able to handle the cold. IDEAS????
Doesn't Denver look so fun?? Roque and I have fun!

4 comments:

dolly d. said...

Hm, that's interesting. I've always loved wind, there is something mysterious and powerful about it...and I love how it whips my hair all around.

As for fun snow activities I have recently discovered snowshoeing to be something joyous. Also, I have one super duper burly coat that I LOVE and can only be worn when it's really cold. I secretly look forward, when winter starts, to the day that will justify wearing that coat.

And, I kind of like brushing off my car, it gives you something to do while you wait for your car to warm up. And warms you up if you do it fast enough...think of it as a mini workout, afterall, several 10 minute intervals of exercise a day can be as beneficial as one-a-days for 30 minutes.

By the by, I read of a study done recently that followed two groups of hotel maids. One group was educated as to how their occupation was really a form of exercise, the other group was not. Then they both went about their normal, and quite comparable activities. The group that was aware of what they were doing as exercise lost weight! As well as other good stuff that comes as exercise. Cool huh! So just see it all as productive exercise instead of time wasting. :)

kelsey said...

You should take up the luge. I don't know if thats how you spell it, but I think you would love it.

an illdressed foolishwise said...

So far this spring I have perchaced EIGHT kites.. and someone gave me another one on saturday..

night kite flying up high where you can see the city lights below is my new obsession..

as far as snow.. i got nothin.. the snow sucks..

Giandrea said...

Get a puff coat and then pretty much live in it. It hasn't made me LOVE the winter but I sure dont HATE it as much as a used to. Puff coat for sure!