Sunday, June 08, 2008

"twelfth" is a strange 4-consonants-in-a-row type word

Fact: Megan is an incredible violinist


Last night, one of my good friends had her senior violin recital. She was amazing. I have never seen fingers move so swiftly! She played "Concerto in E Minor, Opus 64" by Felix Mendelssohn. The whole time I kept thinking of the quote from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."
Through her hard work, dedication, practice and talent she has become so great at the violin.
I always wish I could be "great" at something. Instead sometimes I feel like Joseph Heller says in Catch-22 "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them." That's probably why I am so excited to go to grad school. I will have the chance to become great at something by studying and practicing so intensely.
So, the word's out. I will be back at BYU to start my masters in January. WoW.
PS. I just bought this movie and it is one of my favorites. WATCH IT!!

3 comments:

katie speed said...

Yeah for you! what grad program are you in... art?!

vantastic said...

yep! I am going to be doing ceramics! I just can't wait...

terynmendenhall said...

I really love that picture of her.