Miss A.E.
I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone forever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own, than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan--Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes?--I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feeling, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice, when they would be lost on others. --Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be fervent, most undeviating in F.W.
Do you know where this is from? Who else is in love with this book? I thought I had read it already, but while reading realized maybe I had just seen the movie a lot! I can't remember. But anyhow, now it stays in my mind as a wonderful study and commentary on relationships and personalities. The characters are developed so perfectly, the plot so entertaining and the theme so personally engaging!
I must share this quote from the back cover, "the poet Tennyson, visiting historic Lyme Regis, where a pivotal scene occurs, exclaimed: "Don't talk to me of the Duke of Monmouth. Show me the exact spot where Louisa Musgrove fell!"
Last week I started to read said book on the metro. My previous book I tossed in the trash because that is exactly what it was. I kept thinking it would get better but being half-way through with no desire to continue I threw it out. I was very overcome with the author's immoral, selfish,worthless and hopeless outlook on life. I was charmed by the movie "Everything Is Illuminated" (it is not as vulgar and crude as the book) but would admonish anyone with principles to not read that book. Tangents aside..."Persuasion" by Jane Austen made me trust authors again. Life is about so much more than was "illuminated" in that other book. And I am so happy to love again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Can you believe I've never read that book or seen the movie! (Unless I saw the movie at your house and I don't remember...) I'll have to add that to my list of books to read.
seriously!! it is my new favorite. I know that is so girly to say...but it is soooooo good!
Aaaaaaaaaa! This is a high pitched, squealy scream of utter delight that you love this book as well as me. I had no idea you loved that story so well! I quite often site it as being my favorite Jane Austin story (which may date from my feeling like I could soooo identify with Anne by the time I was about 25) and just bought the movie like a week ago. Yay! And yes, that is about the most intensly sincere and moving letter that I think could possibly be penned. We will have to watch that movie when you get back.
And I'm sorry the other book didn't turn out to be what you had hoped. I can so totally understand so, good for you for throwing it out. I've had to do that and have promised myself that I will be better at recognizing sooner what it not worth while and getting rid of it quicker. Glad to know I needn't look that book up at all.
Just for brownie points I knew where the quote was from! Which movie did you get? The one with the weird risque cover??? Rach might see the movie cover and throw it out before she watches it
I think this is the one she got: http://www.teachwithmovies.org/guides/persuasion-DVDcover.gif
right??
Yeah, that's the right one. I know what Jamie is talking about, though. I saw that one in a video store once and was like "WHAT?!" It's not anywhere close to anything that happens in the movie and the people aren't even in it. Weird.
Post a Comment