Sunday, August 03, 2008

Compounded/'cause I no longer know where home is....


boats boats and more boats



One week ago, I sat on the river shore in Plentzia waiting for a procession of boats to sail past. The procession was for the patron saint of the town. It was that saint's day so he/she got a boat parade. It was pretty amazing as they all filed passed dressed in the colors of Euskadi. Red, green and white flag flew from the masts. I love the tradition and culture that Basque country possesses and remembers.
For some reason, at that very moment I started to think about compound words and how I like them. A compound word is double the word, so it has double the meaning, no? I thought about taking a compound word apart and substituting its two parts for its two equivalent antonyms or opposites...me explico?? I often play word games to keep my mind busy...so for example: "playground" would become "rest-air" and "haircut" would become "bald-mend" I thought a lot about "homesick" and couldn't decide on the opposite of home. What would it become?? and then I thought about this song and how this song makes me soooooo "homesick"....not "foreign-well" at all.
Homesick-by Kings Of Convenience


compounding on the beach

6 comments:

kelsey said...

I'm pretty sure foreign-well is the best one. When you are all done being foreign-well and foreign-not-well you should come visit me. I'll make you feel real foreign-well.

vantastic said...

oh. I would love to be foreign-well with you and your baby and your baby's baby. ha ha. oh quelsey. I met some friends here who are from Ecuador. I think about you all the time!!

vantastic said...

don't worry everybody, or anybody, I am foreign-pretty-well or faring-pretty-well or faring-well. FAREWELL. wow. I love this game.

an illdressed foolishwise said...

rach!! you are my favorite!

i wish i knew some compound words to describe how much i love your guts

kelsey said...

I've heard Spain is the new US for many Ecuadorians.

Hannah Stayner said...

its nice to know that other people besides me have strange minds...