Saturday, July 26, 2008

I just ate this....

Arroz Negro (translation: Black Rice)
It is rice with calamari. What makes it black you ask? It is cooked in the squid's ink. This dish would be among those that I like.

Here on the northern coast of Spain I eat a lot of seafood. Some of it is good, some tolerable and some un-swallowable...I hate to be that picky girl, so I have eaten a lot of food I wasn't really into: anchovies, weird pickled asparagus with mayonnaise, all types of mollusks and cephalopods, blood sausage, cooked red pepper drenched in oil, duck, cow, pig....I am turning more and more vegetarian.

It could be that I just miss vegetables. I only ever eat potatoes, carrots (cooked), hard cooked peas (Aaron remember these from Uruguay) and the typical salad that they have with every meal which consists of lettuce, tomato and onion drenched in oil and vinegar.

Or it could be that I tire from the incessant cutting, blood, chewing, fat, blood, cutting, chewing and chewing, blood, fat, chewing &c. gross.

Anyway. I miss good food. Truth be told, I end up eating a lot of ice cream. You can't go wrong with ice cream.

9 comments:

Jamela said...

when you put it like that, we would all be vegetarians... Thank goodness for good veggies. Last night Zachy said, more beets! Music to my ears. Love ya.

Giandrea said...

it sounds all adventurous and youthful-carefree until it is real life and you want something yummy. So Spain isn't into the veggies? What about fruit?

vantastic said...

jamie---AHH that is soooo cute that zachy asked for more beets. Mom sent me a picture of him at the parade with his hands on his hips watching..soooo cute!!

A---luckily! Si, they have fruit. And I eat so much of it to compensate for no raw veggies...I miss those the most. When I get back to Utah I am going to eat Smiths out of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beans, peas, spinach and all those other delicious treats....and chocolate covered cinnamon bears. wow...I am so hungry now.

dolly d. said...

Yeah, it is so interesting to see what is real about a place, huh? I'm glad they have fruit, and good ice cream. And you know what? I went to an Italian restaurant once where I ordered a black pasta dish (that was sooooo delicious) and wondered why it was black. It's cause they die it with squid ink! Cool, it was funny, too, cause you could tell the waiter was a little worried that it'd gross me out all bad. Nope, though, I was fine, and it was really yummy...though I doubt the ink actually adds to the flavor.

So who do you collect ink from a squid? Hm...

dolly d. said...

Oops...HOW do you collect ink from a squid.

Hannah Stayner said...

resorting to ice cream... sounds a lot like us in Durazno! and for some reason I gained 15 lbs there... hmmmm... of course you didnt gain an oz. punk. I am glad you are enjoying ethpania!

One of my good friends is there on her mission and comes home in about 2 weeks. woohoo.

love ya madre!

vantastic said...

I think the squids come pre-inked...I really have no idea?? But I just thought they just didn't clean it out or something like that. However, I wouldn't put it past them to sell bottles of squid ink in the same isle as the mayonnaise and oil.

Ha ha Jewkes! those were the days. Ysabel's cakes and ice cream in the Plaza...

tic tacs and tech decks said...

Ice Cream is a really good bet. Now that I am married to a dentist I started eating a lot more sugar. She can fix it right? My logic is in no way flawed. And yes I do remember those peas that reminded me more of nuts than peas.

Banach said...

You should try "paella" or "jamón" or olive oil or "gazpacho" or "pa amb tomàquet" or many typical sweets.

;)